Yes, I think we can all agree that leftists say the dumbest things. And, when it comes to their insidious, and delusional, desire to instigate the disarmament of law-abiding, legal gun owners, the left really says stuck on stupid things. I present to you the latest case of dumb and dumber, one failing Democrat (socialist) Party presidential candidate, Julian Castro.
As reported by Townhall:
“Presidential candidate Julián Castro stated during the “2020 Presidential Gun Safety Forum” that the idea of a good guy with a gun being a solution to shootings has been “shattered.” The former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development pointed to the recent shooting in El Paso, Texas, where a gunman drove ten hours to a Walmart to target Latino shoppers.
“This idea of a good guy with a gun versus a bad guy with gun has been totally shattered,” Castro said. “This guy must’ve known that in Texas, where you have open carry, you have concealed carry, you have campus carry, one of the highest rate of gun ownership, that shooter knew he was walking into a place where a lot of people were carrying. And that didn’t make a difference.”
“So this argument that some have made to suggest that the answer is more guns, to me, over and over again, not only in El Paso, but time and again, that has been debunked,” Castro added. The amount of defensive gun use vary widely. In a 1995 study by criminologists Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, they concluded there are between 2.2 and 2.5 million defensive gun uses annually. The Washington Post has reported the number is closer to 100,000 instances each year.”
For Castro to use just the El Paso incident as a validation for his absurd assertion is utterly ludicrous. If anything, my question is why was there no one in the Walmart parking lot armed to engage this deranged shooter? Personal safety is a personal responsibility. I think it is time someone reminded little Julian about what happened in Sutherland Springs, Texas. It was there that the US Air Force, along with law enforcement, failed a community and did not upload the criminal record of the assailant into the National Instant Criminal Background Checks (NICs) system. Therefore, the convicted domestic abuse felon was able to purchase a semi-automatic firearm, and embarked upon his evil intent.It was a simple man, Stephen Willeford, who was alerted to the sound of gunshots by his daughter on that Sunday morning. It was Willeford, a simple man — and one whom I have met on several occasions — ran to the sound of the gun, with his own semi-automatic rifle, AR-15. He ended the scourge and mortally wounded the shooter. Hey, Julian, this was a really good guy with a gun who stopped a really bad guy with the exact same gun.
I would also remind lil’ Jules that the Mosque shooter in New Zealand was stopped by a legal gun owner with a semi-automatic handgun. But what action did the Prime Minister of New Zealand take? Yes, she banned all semi-automatic firearms. So, she made the good guy who had stopped the bad guy a criminal if he did not comply with surrendering the very firearm he used to end a mass shooting.
Guess what? Julian and his buddy Bob Frank O’Rourke, would do the same to Stephen Willeford.
Now, each month the National Rifle Association magazine, America’s First Freedom, has a segment called “The Armed Citizen.” Here are a few vignettes I would like to share with y’all . . . and Jules.
– In Saginaw, Texas, two men attempted to rob a homeowner inside his garage at 5:45pm. One of the men allegedly drew a gun. In response, the homeowner pulled out his firearm and shot one of the men: that died from his injuries. [Saginaw Texas, 8/11/19]
– An armed robber was shot dead by a 22-year-old man early in the morning on Detroit’s west side. Two men on foot approached three people seated inside a vehicle, from behind and attempted to rob them. One robber, armed with a gun, allegedly assaulted the driver and demanded items. The 22-year-old drew his concealed carry firearm and short the robber multiple times. The man died of his wounds. [detroitnews.com, Detroit Michigan, 8/819]
– A home intruder in Sioux City, Iowa, was stopped in his tracks by a homeowner who used his firearm to defend himself. The intruder, under the influence of LSD and morphine, broke windows to enter the home. The intruder refused to leave, after being confronted, and physcially assaulted the homeowner. The homeowner retrieved his firearm and shot the intruder. The man later died from his injuries. [kscj.com, Sioux City, Iowa, 7/22/19]
– A Florida homeowner used an AR-15 semi-automatic platform rifle to protect himself from four alleged home invaders who reportedly broke into his house intending to rob him. An hour before the invasion, one of the men apparently knocked on the door and attempted to lure the homeowner outside by claiming to need help with his vehicle. The owner refused explaining that he was disabled. The man returned later with three others and broke into the home. Awakened by the noise, the homeowner grabbed his AR-15 rifle that he kept near his bed for protection. Two robbers fired at the homeowner. One wearing a “Jason” mask and gloves on both hands used a semi-automatic pistol, while the other was a 22-year-old armed with a shotgun. In the ensuing exchange of gunfire, one robber was killed at the scene. The other died from his injuries at the hospital. [villages-news.com, Summerfield Florida, 7/11/19]
So, this is a teachable moment for Julian Castro, please stop saying really stupid stuff that can be easily debunked. We all know what you and your ilk have as a true intent, gun confiscation and disarmament. Look here silly boy, good people have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms. They have a right to protect themselves, not just from criminals, but also from a tyrannical government, for which you are an advocate. This Nation and its quest for independence began on the issue of gun control. That was why the “shot fired, heard ’round the world” happened…the British were marching to destroy a weapons and armaments factory in Concord Massachusetts on April 19, 1775.
Then and now, we realize a simple fact, an armed individual is a citizen…an unarmed individual is a subject. And even worse, an unarmed individual is a victim for criminals.
I know that you are running to be President of these United States, God only knows why, since you would not honor our Constitution. And I am quite sure you have no clue about civics, nor read the Founding Fathers. So, let me close Julian, with a quote from the writer of our Declaration of Independence, and 3d President of our Country…something you will NEVER be.
“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”
– Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th-century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776
Hey Julian, take this advice from King Solomon found in Proverbs 17:28 (New International Version), “Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.”
Molon Labe! Translated in Texas as, “Come and Take It!”
[To ensure you never miss an article, please sign up to be notified when a new column is posted! It’s free and you may opt-out at any time.]
During his 22 year career in the United States Army, Lieutenant Colonel West served in several combat zones and received many honors including a Bronze Star, three Meritorious Service Medals, three Army Commendation Medals, one with Valor device, and a Valorous Unit Award.
In November of 2010, Allen was elected to the United States Congress, representing Florida’s 22nd District. In July of 2020, Mr. West was elected Chair of the Republican Party of Texas.
West is a commissioned officer in the Texas State Guard. He’s a Newsmax Contributor, former Director of the Booker T. Washington Initiative at the Texas Public Policy Foundation, Senior Fellow at the Media Research Center, and author of Guardian of the Republic: An American Ronin’s Journey to Family, Faith and Freedom, Hold Texas, Hold the Nation: Victory or Death, and We Can Overcome: An American Black Conservative Manifesto.